Wednesday 25 August 2010

A Whole New World- Part II

Hello everyone!
I now have an account on the internal AC internet and so should be able to use the internet more. Today is our final day of service inductions before we leave for Camp this afternoon. Since Saturday we have had induction talks and information on academic programmes and services. My personal tutor is Julian and he is very caring and helpful. I have now made my academic IB choices, and have discussed them with a panel of AC teachers. For the IB I will be studying Higher Level European History, English and Economics, and then French, Maths Studies and Environmental Systems and Societies at Standard Level. We did a Maths test and my result was borderline Standard/Studies so I chose Studies. That was before I got an A in Maths GCSE!
       We have had so many inductions for all the various services on offer (service is compulsory in the IB). So far I have been to Lifeguards, Inshore Lifeboat (ILB), MEMS (marine conservation), EMC (Extra Mural Centre), Performing Arts, Social Service, Estate and Media Service. I have decided that I want to interact with people and so the choice is between Social Service and Performing Arts. Social Service involves visiting elderly people in the local community as well as visiting schools and a prison. Performing Arts is a very small service which uses music to communicate and help people with Dementia and Autism. I found the induction to this so moving and incredibly powerful that I felt compelled to join. I am not a confident singer, however the relationship with the people is what counts. I am going to put this down as my first choice and SS as my second choice. You are not guaranteed your first choice service (especially as PA is so small).
Well, I am off to camp in wet West Wales until Saturday!!