Monday 26 March 2012

The Castle, Ambassador and the Prince

2.55pm- Hello everyone! I had a great weekend away in London. I stayed with my cousin and it was lovely to see her and catch up. On Saturday I went to the Guardian Open Weekend- it was AMAZING!  As you all know I am an avid Guardian reader and I got to attend some fascinating talks and meet some of the journalists. Simon Hoggart ( whose column I adore!) and Luke Harding (AC graduate and now Senior Guardian Correspondent) both signed copies of their books for me. I also saw Tim Dowling and his band which he so often talks about in his column. I talked to them about careers journalism etc., which was was very helpful. I saw all kinds of interesting people- from MPs Zac Goldsmith (the closest thing to likable a Tory can ever be) and Vince Cable (such an intelligent man) to economists and diplomats-Will Hutton and Sir Andrew Wood (former UK ambassador to Russia). I was also so excited to be in the Guardian offices (especially the newsroom!) and constantly kept thinking "I'd love to work here!!!".  In addition to the stimulating discussions,it was a good break from AC and a reminder that there is more to life and learning than just IB examinations.
   On that note however, I am now incredibly motivated to work for the IB. I will return to my carrel unit in a moment! An ambassador is visiting late today but can't divulge which one because of security reasons (that's why we only found out who in assembly this morning!). Will go to a Q&A later.  The Crown Prince of Holland is visiting tomorrow ( he is a former student and visited last year as well). Love to all.