Thursday 29 March 2012

Taking a break

1.45pm- Good afternoon everyone. I've had quite a relaxed day so far. We had a test (purely for revision) in History first code and it wasn't too bad. I then had double English and we went for a stroll to the seafront and sat discussing Larkin's poetry in the sunshine for the rest of the lesson. I like Thursdays as I have double free (early lunch!). I worked, had lunch and then went to Econ. We were given a past paper to complete in our own time so I've been able to finish my application for work experience at the Guardian. I understand that it will be very competitive but it would be an amazing opportunity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 
   There is a strange atmosphere on campus today, among the Second Years at least. People are quietly thinking about what will happen tonight and even though I did not apply to the US, I find myself thinking about Durham and my own dreams for Uni. That in turn makes me realise how much work I have to do! Sadly, I feel as though studying and thinking about studying seeps all your energy and enthusiasm away. I think I will take a walk in the sunshine later to remind myself how beautiful and great life actually is! I've also been thinking a lot lately about what I would like to do after university. I've had an ambition to be a journalist for a long time and after the Guardian Open Weekend I feel more confident than ever that that is what I want to do. There are times however when I think about what should people strive for- to be viewed as successful by others or to be genuinely liked by others? My friend and I had an interesting discussion about this in the carrel unit earlier as I asked her "Are there any nice successful people?!" She said of course there are, and I'm sure she's right but I think it's a fascinating subject.
      Must get back to my desk now. I have a flute lesson at 3.30pm and then I want to work before the Uni news starts coming out. Love to all.