Sunday 20 November 2011

Diploma period, weekend....etc.

2.30pm- Hello everyone. I'm in the Universities Room at the moment- the warmest and most modern room in the castle! I got up quite late this morning and went to the gym with my dormie. We then went to Brunch a little later than usual and I've been working since then. I ran through my TOK presentation with my partner, and so we are now ready for that tomorrow. I worked most of the day yesterday as well. I revised for Maths and E Systems tests which I have this week. I must also continue preparing for my English oral and do some French work. Last night was "Cinderfella"-  an annual AC event and the proceeds go to charity. Two boys from each house dress as girls and have to perform various tasks and demonstrate different talents. I helped dress our PK guys beforehand and helped them change during the show. I think I'll say it was an interesting experience!
     I went with the PTA to see Twilight on Friday night in Bridgend. I am not a huge Twilight fan and until recently would never have dreamed of paying to watch it! My interest in it is clearly growing as I've seen half of the first film, the second one in French and then went to watch this one in the cinema! I just enjoyed going with my friends and we had a good laugh. I think the occasion got to me as I found the film very enjoyable!
     The Second Years had the Sustainability Conference on Thursday and Friday. I thoroughly enjoyed it on Thursday but found Friday was not as good. I attended two interesting workshops on Thursday- one discussing the economic aspects of sustainability (in a wider context of all problems facing the world) and another on growing your on food. My Econ teacher ran the first workshop and an AC graduate who now works in the food industry ran the second. We planted some seeds and she taught us lots of nice little tips for growing your own crops. She's moving to London to design and create a roof garden soon- sounds so exciting. I can't wait to have my own house and garden! A farmer from West Wales also gave a lecture on organic and sustainable farming, which I found very interesting and inspiring. There was also a very interesting Question Time-style panel debate on Thursday afternoon held in the Bradenstoke Hall. Two of the speakers were from Cardiff University- one was a Professor of Engineering, the other of Economics. The third panel member teaches at UCL and is a member of the IIED- International Institute for Environment and Development. It was a fascinating debate covering many issues and concluded with the question "Is now the time for the end of money?". The poor engineer looked terrified!     My first workshop on Friday was about Fairtrade clothing but I found I already knew most of what the lady said and so did not find it that good. In the afternoon we made chutney with home produce and my hands smelt like garlic and chilly for the next 24hours! The man from IIED gave a lecture on Friday and showed us all of the scary statistics on climate change. There were many graphs demonstrating all kinds of things-  emissions from cities and countries and also the different things which are included in various calculations. During the conference, the conversation often reverted back to Capitalism, Consumption and Western attitudes. I've been left with the realisation that Sustainability is one part of a very big situation which cannot continue in the same way for much longer.
      I really must go now. I want to do as much work as possible before the East-Asian National Evening tonight. Love to all.