Thursday 1 September 2011

Let the fun end and the work begin.....

4.15pm- It may not be quite as drastic as the above title sounds, but I now feel as though I have really come back to school!  'August Period' is over. The past three weeks consisted of some work but mostly Service, Induction for the First Years and extra-curricular activities. It has been tiring but now the academic work has begun. Today I had English, Maths, French and E Systems. The summer break now feels like a distant memory!
   I am also in the process of applying to University and so have been busy researching for that and making sure that I make the best application possible. It is very exciting to learn of all the opportunities out there, after AC and beyond. I am very excited to be applying to Uni but at the same time it reminds me that this unique experience will be over next year. I know that I can never repeat the AC experience but I know that the things I have learnt here will stay with me forever, regardless of which university I attend, job I ultimately have.....etc.
   I chose my activities earlier this afternoon. I have made Flute lessons one of my offical activities this year. In addition to that I must have a creative activity (for the AC Diploma), which I am very happy about! I chose either Ethical Felting or Printmaking. I am excited to have the opportunity to be creative as I missed that last year. I also found out which service sessions I will have this term, and I am very pleased. On Tuesdays I will be helping out at a computer club for elderly people, run here at college. On Wednesdays I will be going to a school in Llantwit to help. I am not sure which age group I will be working with but I'm sure it will be good. When I wrote my preferences I decided that I still wanted to work with elderly people but that it would also be nice to work with children this year. I attended some of the Schools sessions last year and really enjoyed them. I am only going to do the compulsory 2 sessions this year, instead of the 3 I did last year. I realised that it would be sensible not to overload myself in what is going to be a very busy term/ year preparing for the IB.
    I have just off my History IA to my teacher, which was a great feeling! I actually really enjoyed working on it but I am glad to get it done. My EE tutor told me that my EEis fine for now, and to concentrate on other things. I'm going to submit my 2nd draft when I've done all the other bits and pieces which are more urgent at the moment. I have to write my Personal Statement and also work on my other subjects. I am applying to do History at Oxford so I'm trying to do the History Admissions Test past papers. They are so interesting! History at Oxford is my dream and in order to achieve that I have to make sure I do well in all of my subjects! This year is all about balance work and play. I feel as though I have it right at the moment and am determined to keep it that way.
    I'm in the library so I will go to work a little before supper. Love to everyone from a sunny castle.