Thursday 21 October 2010

One more day!

1.15pm- Mid term break is almost here! I am so excited to be going home it's unbelievable. It isn't that I am unhappy here, in fact I know I will be very pleased to come back next week. It will just be good to see all of my wonderful family and friends. No matter how great it is here I still miss everyone back home.
         Today has been a strange day as I only had one lesson! That was History first thing this morning. I got 16/20 in my essay, which is one mark off a Level 7. My teacher was pleased and so I am happy with it. After that I was supposed to have double English but my teacher isn't here and so I had double free. I used the time to work on my English essay and that is now done. After break I had Econ. but that was free to work on our coursework, which I've already done. After that I had a scheduled double free! I am so glad that my plan has worked- I have no work to do over the holiday at all. I am going to leave all of my books here and then there is no way I can even think about work!  We are having to tidy everything up in our dorms as the house is going to be cleaned thoroughly. I started to pack in my frees and it is crazy how much I am taking. I have plenty of laundry and then things like my cycle helmet, wellies and flute take up space. I have just had early lunch and most people have had to go back to Code 6. Therefore I came to the library to write this and then read for while. I have my flute in my bag and I may even go and practise a little later!   Last night I went to watch the movie "Precious" in the coffee lounge. It was very moving and had most of us in tears at some point or other. It has a very important message about domestic violence and education, and it is good that a film was made to raise awareness of this issue.    Yesterday afternoon we had a school wide photo and it is truly the most amazing school photo I've ever seen! Many people dressed in their national costumes and others the carried flags of their countries. I stood in the middle of the courtyard clutching my huge Welsh flag with all the Welshies and truly admired the cultural diversity around me. In which other school would the school photo include girls dresses in Kimonos, boys dressed in Lederhosens and people waving the flags of Spain, Israel, Iraq and the US? I realised that I had began to take for granted how amazing this place is! It is possible after a while to get completely accustomed to hearing three different languages at the dining table! The photo was a great show of colour and vibrancy, and a celebration of difference and identity. I will try and put it on here when I get a copy.
     This afternoon I am going to chill and finish off packing. We have PSHE in the Bradenstoke at 5pm followed by supper at 5.30pm. 8-10pm in PK is packing and cleaning time in preparation for mid term break. Some people have already left and others are leaving tomorrow afternoon. Mum and Dad are picking me up at 5pm so I will have half an hour after codes. Some people are leaving early Saturday morning and everyone must be out of the houses by 10am. For those who are staying on campus they will be staying in the main castle and there are various activities planned. Houseparents are having the week off and so that is why everyone preferably had to leave campus. It is surprising how many Europeans are going home and even some Asians are travelling for hours to get home. I am so lucky that I will be home by the time most people have even left!
         Well am going to go and read Private Eye and then the Guardian. Love to everyone and hopefully will see most of you next week!!!!