Thursday 4 November 2010

A sad day for Atlantic College

1pm- I feel very sad as I am writing this. Yesterday it was announced that Neil Richards, the great Principal of this college, is resigning at the end of term. There was an understandable feeling of shock in the hall as the Chair of Governors read out a statement from the Board of Governors. Some students started to cry and Neil was given a standing ovation as he left. I was (and still am) shocked and upset. Neil is the most inspirational person at college and I know I have written on this blog in the past about his great knowledge and understanding of life. Since arriving at college three years ago he has tried to introduce new rules and has many ideas about how to take this college forward. However he has constantly come up against opposition from various figures in the college and he is resigning following "a difference of opinion between the Principal of the College and its Board of Governors about the leadership and management of the College". Therefore I now feel the college faces an uncertain future, and I await the coming months with some considerable fear.
    All that remains to be said is that Neil Richards is a man who lives his life according to very honourable principles and values. His departure means that, in my opinion at least, Atlantic College has lost the one person who has truly dedicated his life to serving the world. I also feel that I personally will miss out on so much that I could have learnt about life from Neil. I am just so grateful that I have had the privilege to listen to him on various occasions for the short time I have been here at Atlantic College. I will always remember his talks and later today my dormies and I are going to go and tell Neil the effect he will have on the rest of our lives. If all the people here who feel the same way tell him that then hopefully it will help him feel better at this terribly sad time. Neil Richard's wise words will remain with me for life. I know Neil is taking this in his usual philosophical way but I genuinely feel a real sense of loss. It has made me really consider life, why I am here at AC and also sadly is AC everything it could be? On that somewhat sad note I will go to Llantwit and discuss it on the way with my dear friend Divya. Hope everyone is well.