Wednesday 9 February 2011

Good morning!

9.25am- Hello everyone. It is a lovely sunny morning here today and I just went for a walk through the gardens after first code. I had Maths but as my teacher was ill we just did some excercises. I love the gardens here at AC, it is so peaceful and it's wonderful to hear the birds. I just realised how much I did that at home, and how I don't really notice them here. The view of the sea and accross the channel is always magical in the mornings too.
    Yesterday I had my two service sessions, and I enjoyed both of them. The lady that two of us visit at a residential home always amazes us as she is nearly 100 and still full of energy. I notice that she has deteriorated slightly in the time I have been seeing her but it is still a privilege to talk to her. It makes me think about life, longevity and our attitudes towards it. She is very determined and I think that we can all learn a lot from that.  Last night at Gateways I did some of my usual colouring and chatting and was even given a Valentines Day card. I love the positive atmosphere that the club creates, and seeing how that reflects on and helps people is fantastic.  Our dorm had quite an early night last night. We went to bed after having salmon on toast- so good!!
      I no longer have my double free code on Wednesdays as TOK now takes up third code. I'm enjoying TOK so far. I like thinking about knowledge, perception etc. Should go soon so that I am not late.
   One last thing- I heard this morning that the Guardian's Russia correspondent has been expelled from the country. I read Luke Harding's work before I even came to AC and now I know that he came here too. The work he has done as a journalist around the world truly is impressive.  I was sad to read that Russia continues to deny freedom of expression and freedom of the press. To hear of such a situation is always very disheartening but the AC link somehow made this even more real and saddening. I'm sure he will continue to be a fantastic journalist wherever he is based however.
Really must go now!