Wednesday 22 September 2010

Free time

9.45am- Morning everyone! I have had one lesson this morning, which was Maths. We are doing algebra and I am finding it enjoyable! My teacher is really good and this morning she helped me with a method I was unfamiliar with but I now understand.  I now have double free, until 10.25am Coffee Break. Last night we all broke the fast together in the dining hall at 8pm. We made cakes in PK and then took them down to share with everyone. We had some great soup, pizza and bread as well. I actually found the fast fine and wasn't really that hungry when it finally came to eating.
     Yesterday I mentioned the ATL lesson I had with Principal Neil and so I have my notes and I will share some of the things that struck me most from his talk. He spoke a little about the science of the brain- how, for instance, we have more neurons in one human brain than all the leaves on all the trees in the world! He also spoke about the development of the brain as you grow and the importance of experiences. He said that we should just wait until we become parents and we will understand so much more!  The thing that really made an impression on me was the "4 Worlds" inside the brain. It is a diagram/theory about emotions and the various parts of the brain :
   World No.1 is the INNER SELF.
              No.2 is DIRECT EXPERIENCE
              No.3 is INDIRECT EXPERIENCE
              No.4 is DESIRES (where you want to be).
You gain a good, positve and happy innerself if you have direct experience of happiness, love, etc. Indirect experience is conceptual, learning at school etc. In order to be where you want to be you need a combination of the other three. He said that many intellectuals have the conseptual thinking but they do not have a positive innerself where they are happy with themselves. Therefore they are not where they want to be and this is why some incredibly bright people commit suicide. If you don't feel good, you feel you will not reach where you want to be and therefore turn to sensations- alcohol etc. He said that in order to teach people you need to reach their inner world, and make it a happy place to be. He also said you must never write someone off, never give up on anyone.    I found this all so true and the manner in which he speaks and engages the audience is brilliant. I admire Neil the Principal so much.
    Well that was my thought for the day and so I am going to go and read for a bit now. I am in the library and so I will try and grab the Guardian. I have English after break, then French and E.Systems. I do not have service this afternoon or an official activity but I am planning on going to the Action on Climate and Environment debating group this evening. Hope everyone is keeping well. Love to all.