Wednesday 8 September 2010

I'm back!

10.15am - I have double free now, so I'm in the library. I had Maths just now and so I have done my homework already! I think I am doing pretty well at getting all my work done in the day and then I can see everyone at night and do not have to work We had health checks in the Health Centre yesterday and so I had two jabs. The one that was supposed to hurt didn't at all but now I have a dull ache in my right arm. It's nothing serious, just I know it's there. It's great having a Health Centre on campus, and also one of the houseparents is a nurse. There are lots of people with coughs and colds at the moment. They say everyone becomes ill during the first couple of weeks at AC. I am trying to eat loads of fruit and veg and so far I seem ok. My voice is slightly hoarse from all the talking however!  
        After the health check I walked into Llantwit with some people from PK. We felt really good for not taking the bus but then coming back we realised we would miss dinner if we didn't catch it for the return journey. I only bought some milk, bananas, pears and goats cheese. I was looking forward to cheese on toast but then nobody had collected the house supplies so there was no bread! Every night after supper someone is supposed to collect the supplies for each house. We get two loaves of bread and two pints of milk. Everybody keeps their own private purchases in the fridge but you have to be sure to label it and also tie it in a bag. "No name, fair game" is the saying!  I have my own muesli for breakfast in the mornings now. It is easier and also healthier. I do use the canteen some mornings however, depending on what I want and what lesson I have first. I eat in the canteen at every other mealtime, and I find that there is always something to eat. I often have the hot dish with salad or veg. People are ordering in and buying their own food but I don't feel the need at the moment.
     I have break at 10.25 and then I have English. We are reading a play by Spanish writer Lorca called "The House of Bernarda Alba". I haven't quite got into it yet but it is okay. I then have French. I love my teacher but I do feel somewhat out of my depth in class. My classmates seem to have very good knowledge of both grammatical and converstional skills. When I sit down and take my time, I am fine. I still love class!  I also have E. Systems, and I find this very interesting. I am taught by Nick Lush, the Vice Principal, and he is a brilliant teacher. He explains everything in an engaging manner but also can have laugh with the class. We are learning about various environmental systems at the moment, and also what exactly is a system. Some people seem to have prior knowledge but others don't. I find this in all classes. Such is the variety of nationalities here, various education systems teach different things. Sitting in class and talking to people is an education in itself!
     This afternoon I have an introductory talk from a representative from Age Concern as part of my social service. I am so pleased that I chose social service. I have a deep love for my service already. After that I am thinking I may try and find a practice room in the music department and play my flute! I did not sign up for lessons as I realise it would have been too much of a commitment. There is a flute choir however and also there are three other flautists in my house. Apparently the accoustics in the practice rooms are really good and so I think I will go and take a look later. It is AC sports week this week and tonight is the basketball competition. After reaching the final in rugby, PK were knocked out first in volleyball last night. We have confidence in our basketball team however! 
     Well, I am going to go now as I want to read the paper before break. Hope everyone is doing well.