Wednesday 1 September 2010

A new routine

I am writing this during my free period in the library. I have done my Maths homework. Now I am just relaxing. I have a double free which is amazing! Yesterday was really good. I had Environmental Systems with Nick Lush, the Vice-Principal and found it fascinating. I am really looking forward to studying more of E. Systems. I then had a double lesson of History, which I adored! My teacher is from Hungary and so when she is discussing the reliability of evidence she can speak of her experiences of life behind the Iron Curtain. I also really enjoy Economics and basically love both lessons I have in the classrooms in the castle! It is such a great place to study and learn. The other classrooms are divided into blocks for Science, Languages, Maths and Music. Yesterday we were told which service we had been selected for and I was given Social. I am SO pleased with this. Performing Arts was my first choice but, after thinking about it, I really love and am passionate about the activities in Social Service too. For my choices within the service I have decided I want to work with elderly people. Therefore, my choices were, in order of priority, home visits, residential home visits, IT skills class and, finally, a club for Autistic adults and people with mental illnesses. There is also a possibility that I may get school visits but I will find out which one I have this afternoon. I really hope I get home visits as I would love to build up a relationship with an elderly person/couple and hopefully make a great difference to their lives. It could involve doing some basic shopping or just chatting and keeping them company.
        Yesterday was fun as we went to Llantwit on the bus. It was as though the whole first year had decamped to Llantwit! The bus was full, so some people walked. In the village itself around every corner and in every shop there were AC students. We were distinguishable by the amount of food shopping bags we had!  It was also great to see normal people! I only bought milk and fruit but some people spent loads on all sorts of meals and treats. When we arrived back on campus the second years found it hilarious!  I do not find the canteen food too bad, therefore I am not going to spend money on food all the time. I need my fruit and that is about it!   After we got back a couple of us from PK went house-hopping (visiting the day rooms of other houses). It was great fun and we ended up having a lovely really girly chat in Tice, with some boys included!! As long as you're back in your house for check-in, there is no problem.
         This morning I have had Maths Studies, and am now in double free. My Maths teacher is called Sally and she is really good. There are only 6 of us in the class, which is the smallest class I have ever been in. Even the maximum here is around 18 in a class. There are students from Madagascar and Israel who find the English hard and so we have to make sure that they understand all the terms. This also applies to me coming from Welsh speaking school, but then I do find it easier when the term is explained. We had to go back to basics and I know this is much to the amusement of other students. It doesn't bother me as I have no plans to become a Mathematician! I have also been given a ridiculously expensive calculator, and discovered that this year every one is pink! And I do mean bright pink! 
    I have 15 mins until break and I want to read the newspaper to discover what's actually happening in the world! I love the way I can come to the library and read my beloved Guardian, as well as some international papers.   Hope everyone is fine. I'm really happy here now.