Monday 27 September 2010

Geography of Thought....

6.45pm- Hello everyone! Well I haven't written for a while but I have had a lovely couple of days. I saw my family for lunch on Sunday, which was so good. I had a really nice relaxing weekend and now this week we have a special conference. This is an AC Diploma period and the Conference this week is Geography of Thought. There are lectures being held on various topics, but generally revolving around different cultural relations. Last night there were two lectures on Learning and Knowledge and then this morning we had a lecture by a Danish neuro scientist, which was extremely interesting. We were then split into groups and given questions to discuss. The idea was to discuss serious topics with people we do not know well. It was good. That was compulsory but then afterwards we had to sign up for various other lectures, as there is limited space. I went to a lecture on the definition of culture, by an English teacher from AC. It was not so much a lecture as there were only around 20 students and it was very interactive. I really enjoyed it! There are so many visitors at the college this week, and they are all amazingly interesting people.  I went to a lecture this afternoon on the nuclear scientist Robert Oppenheimer, by a professor who has just written a biography about him. Oppenheimer was the main force behind the Manhattan Project and he is known as the "father of the nuclear bomb". I wanted to go as it said that the lecturer would discuss Oppenheimers' Hindu beliefs and I was intrigued at how this related to his work. It actually seemed to focus more on the science aspect of his life but it was still very interesting.  At supper I sat next to a Canadian lecturer who is speaking here this week. I am really enjoying this conference and it is for events like this that I came to AC.
     Well tonight I have meditation as usual. There is a discussion group on the conference in the castle but I have found today quite tiring and so I am going to go to meditation instead. Had better go now. Love to everyone!