Monday 13 September 2010

Happy days

1.50pm- Hello everyone! I can't be long as I am writing this in the time between lunch and my service. I have had a great couple of days. Yesterday I had a lovely lazy day, combined with a bit of work. I also finally did some laundry! The state of the laundry really does not encourage you to wash your clothes often! I must not make it sound worse than it is but it is not really appealing. Last night was the British National Evening. We split into Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland. The Second Years did all the preparation and a couple of us First Years took part in the show. I had not really been keen on performing in front of the whole college but I ended up doing a sketch with another Welsh first year Carys. We were given a Powerpoint presentation on famous Welsh people but then it was up to us to present it in our own way. Carys spoke in Welsh and then I translated into English. There was some mocking and it was great because not only the Brits laughed! Beforehand we were both so scared as it was just the two of us but in the event I really enjoyed it. It was a good night and everyone said that all the other nationalities have a lot to follow!
      This morning I had some good lessons. I had English, which was okay as we are reading a play. Then we had assembly and I honestly cannot say how amazing it is! There are the usual school announcements but then you have the students who make their own announcements too. These vary from various activites to lost/found etc. If there is something of importance happening in a particularcountry then students from that country will go on stage. Every week we hear a different national anthem because of a special day in that country. Today I was deeply moved by a reading from the Qu'ran about Ramadan and Eid. Two Muslims gave a short speech on the importance of fasting in their religion and then the traditional reciting was incredible. I had only ever seen it on tv before and I found it incredible to think that this is happening in my school. That is what AC is really about.
   Well really must rush. Am going to visit the elderly lady in Llantwit for social service, which I love. Then have tutorial this evening followed by yoga. There is also something called work!